Friday, October 13, 2006

LAMP and LifeLight – Unity of the Faith

"God works in mysterious ways", and makes Himself known in the process.

I was to learn about Canadian LifeLight Ministries Inc. at Missionfest 2005. Mr. Greg Armstrong shared the need to get Bibles into the hands of both youth and adults in Northern native communities. LifeLight does its part in making the Word available. His words rang out and it was accepted as, "What does LAMP do?"

LAMP stands for Lutheran Association of Missionaries and Pilots. For 35 years we have transported and facilitated Vacation Bible School (VBS) in isolated native villages in northern Canada, some 20 in Manitoba. This past summer about 500 volunteers shared the message of Jesus with over 5000 children and youth. The following true story will however give you LifeLight supporters a flavor of what is transpiring in our partnership.

As part of my pre-summer logistical flight into villages, I had a supply of "How to Find God", and the LifeLight New Testament with me. In the course of our conversation about the coming summer, the local contact in Sandy Lake, ON. asked if I would accompany him to a home where a young mother was suffering with cancer. Would I share and pray for her family’s healing as all were suffering in the process? I was appreciative of my Lifelight Bible, as I was able to share one of Jesus’ healing messages from the Gospel of Matthew.

Some time after, Sidney, our contact, called to say they wanted 100 youth Bibles (The Lifelight). During summer flying over Sandy Lake C-FWGK carried the Scriptures that Greg had left for me in Winnipeg. When I touched down, Sidney, happily accepted the Bibles for his community youth, but had another visit assignment. An elder, who was already living beyond his doctor’s projected "time", wanted a Bible and healing prayer. While he was a believer and not afraid of dying, he asked for more time with his family. I shared from The LifeLight, talked God stories and prayed. Both siblings and grandchildren were present. I asked a daughter for the written names of family, thinking only of those present. This was taking some time. To my delight however, she had recorded the whole family of Jeremiah Fiddler, 62 in all.

As I share your printed Word, it is a pleasure for me to talk about LifeLight Ministries. So LifeLight, in being faithful to the call of giving and sharing, combined with LAMP’s going, brings to life mission and ministry – showing up at the right place at the right time, all to the Glory of God.

Dr. Al Anderson

LAMP Ministry

 

No comments: