Monday, October 15, 2007

GOD MAKES A DIFFERENCE

Out of the Darkness
Grace Amos
When my grandpa died, it hit me harder than I ever thought it would. After the funeral I kept thinking about death and about why we are on this earth if we’re all just living to die. I felt so lost!
One night I was home alone and decided to dig around in my closet. I had no idea what I was looking for, but as I was going through some boxes that I was keeping for my mother, I came across a book. At first I thought it was just some self-help book, but when I read the title, How to Find God, I became curious, so I sat down and started reading it. I soon realized that it was actually a Bible! After reading the section “How you can know God” I was in tears, as I realized why my life was in complete darkness, and in November 2006 I accepted Jesus into my heart.
Those were the first steps, but I didn’t really do anything about my new life until New Year’s Eve when I went to church instead of going out with my friends to party. My kids and I were living on a reserve in Saskatchewan at the time and were attending a small church.
Things were going well and I was growing in my faith, but when we left the reserve and moved to Winnipeg, I backslid. I started drinking and using cocaine and was back in darkness. Because of my choices, my kids had to do without a lot of things. I felt awful and cried all the time. Finally I said to myself, “There’s got to be more to life than this!” So I started reading that book again, prayed the salvation prayer and rededicated my life to Jesus. I found such comfort in knowing that Jesus was my Saviour!
I used to be a people pleaser; now I just want to please the Lord. Once I was a follower of the “living dead”; now I only want to be a follower of Jesus. I messed up when I tried to live according to the seven sacred teachings (I’m aboriginal), and the “spirit world” dropped me when I screwed up, but Jesus always picks me up when I fall. I still have many flaws, but God is so patient with me. A Christian friend told me that Moses, David and Paul were also far from perfect, but God still chose them to spread the Good News.
I’m just a baby in this new life, but I’m just so happy to know the Lord. I still have so much to learn, but this book, How to Find God, has helped me through many struggles. The Christian life isn’t all just sunshine and rainbows, but I know that God won’t give me more than I can handle.
Since I accepted Jesus into my life, my kids no longer have to do without food and clothes. I have found a good church, no longer go the parties I used to go to and, just recently, I destroyed all my old music CDs.
Thank you, LifeLight Ministries, for making these “baby Bibles” (as I like to call them) available for people like me.
You are my lamp, O Lord;
the Lord turns my darkness into light (2 Samuel 22:29).

No comments: