Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Western Lifestyle Attracts People

The Way for Cowboys has been a tremendous outreach tool for us at The Cowboy Church in Sherwood Park, Alberta. I (pastor) carry a couple of them with me at all times, as do a number of other people from our group. I frequently encounter people who start a conversation based on my everyday dress, and before you know it, the Lord provides an opportunity for me to share the gospel, give them a copy of the New Testament and tell them about our church.
This past summer our house band was privileged to perform for one of the special event days at Alberta’s Ukrainian Heritage Cultural Village. People with no church background at all stopped to enjoy the music, and we gave away many copies of The Way for Cowboys.
A few months ago I was at a cowboy gospel concert put on by the Rawlings Brothers. At this event I met a teen with an interest in the western lifestyle. I gave him a New Testament, and last month he appeared at one of our youth group events.
During the Canadian Finals Rodeo week in Edmonton, we stopped at a local restaurant. The waitress was an unchurched rodeo fan. I did not have the opportunity to share the gospel with her, but she was thrilled to get a copy of the NT for cowboys.
Wherever and whenever I meet people with an interest in the western lifestyle, I look for the opportunity to share the gospel with them and give them a New Testament. Often small children are quite uninhibited and thrilled to see a “real cowboy.” Their excitement often leads to a conversation with the parents and an opportunity to present them with a NT. The photos and testimonies of cowboys make them an attractive giveaway.
Many unchurched people have preconceived notions about church. Having these Scriptures as giveaways often breaks down walls and preconceptions and paves the way for them to come and check us out. We also have a table at our church with these NTs, and we have given out hundreds of them over the past three years.
Kevin Corbin

No comments: